About 95% of the time if your nails peel, chip, wrinkle or don’t last, it’s due to wrong application. So let’s start from the beginning and see how we should apply the Nail Strips to get the longest wear out of them!
Prep your nails
- Don’t use any cuticle, oil, lotion, hand cream or similar 2 to 3 hours before and after application.
- If you think your nails might be too oily, wash your hands and nails with Dawn dish soap before application and make sure your nails are 100% dry. The natural oils on your nail bed prevent the nail strip from fully adhering and the strips will peel/chip.
- File your nails and push back cuticles with a cuticle pusher or orange stick. This is important because you want to avoid getting polish on your cuticles. This can cause lifting the polish to occur as your nails grow, which leads to chipping.
- Use an alcohol wipe to prepare the nail bed and remove ALL the oils.
Click HERE to watch a short video on how to apply Color Street Nail Strips!
Sizing: Better to be a bit bigger than too small. You can always remove the excess.
The strip can be adjusted until it’s pressed into place.
Stretch the nail strip carefully over the tip of your nail and press down firmly. Then use thumbnail to cut it under the edge (you can also use a nail file if you want, but make sure to not file back and forth but only in one direction).
Apply the thumb nail last (you use them to apply the rest).
Use a cuticle stick (or thumbnail) to remove excess on the edges.
If you use a style with larger glitter pieces, the can fall at the end of your nail. If you are not careful, you could end up pulling it off, leaving a bare spot/chip on your nail. Use a clipper or small manicure scissorsto cut the glitter off at end instead of filing it.
- Use the second alcohol wipe that comes in the package to set the nail strips.
- Wait 30 minutes to wash hands after application. Each strip is a compressed top, color and base coat. While the top and color coat is 100% dry, the base coat is only about 95% dry so it can adhere to your nail. The base coat will dry 100% within 30 minutes.
- Remember not to use and lotion, hand cream etc. for 2 to 3 hours.
Mort Tips & Tricks
If you are using a solid, take your time. Solids are less forgiving.
Use a microfiber cloth to rub out wrinkles.
Consider using Clear as Day strips over the top of solids.
- During the cold months of the year: Make sure that your nail strips are at room temperature before applying. If nail strips are to cold you may find that they will not stick properly or will peel.
- During the hot months of the year: When the strips get really warm they get very soft and stretch to the extent where they rip easily. I always put my strips in the fridge for a couple minutes. Don’t leave the strips in your car when it’s really hot.
If you have wide nails, you can either apply the strips sideways and remove the excess with a cuticle stick or your thumbnail or you can use two strips and make one out of them as shown in the below pictures.
If your nails are very small or you want to apply the strips to your child’s nails, you can use the smaller strips that come in the package and remove the excess with a cuticle stick or your thumbnail or check out the video below for instructions.